All ribbons, all the time! This beautiful wallet project shows you how to layer ribbons side-by-side to create your own “fabric.” Our R&R series (Re-imagine & Renovate) is a S4H classic, which shows you how different fabric and trim… different ribbons in this case, can give your favorite project a whole new look. Our friends at Renaissance Ribbons Re-imagined and Renovated our original wallet design with brand new Amy Butler Jacquard ribbons from her Hapi collection in two different colorways, the inside quilting weight cotton is also from the Amy Butler Hapi collection for Rowan Fabrics. The result is almost too pretty to hide away inside a larger tote or purse. These wallets easily stand on their own as a dramatic clutch for a night on the town.
The Renaissance Ribbons team travels to many shows and fairs during the year, and they love to use our S4H-RR projects to decorate their booth. They tell us this Ribbon Fold-Over Wallet is one of the most popular items everywhere they go.
It’s beautiful outside, functional inside – with five pockets for cards and cash. And, we guarantee you’ll love how we assembled the ribbons onto the fusible interfacing, allowing stability to be increased while the number of layers, and therefore the thickness, is decreased.
Below, we’ve listed the ribbons and fabric Renaissance Ribbons selected for their two R&R samples. All these ribbons are available at fine retailers online and in-store, as well as by using the links below to buy directly from the Renaissance Ribbons Retail Store. The fabric is available from Fabric.com.
All the cuts in the original tutorial are determined based on our selected ribbon sizes. If you choose ribbons of different widths, you will need to measure each of your ribbon stacks to insure the height and width of your fabric cuts.
- 1 yard of 1½” Pink & Orange Camel Blanket
- 1 yard of 2″ Pink Blossom Pyramid
- 2 yards of ⅞” Pink, Rust & Aqua Spirit Weave
- 2 yards of ⅝” Pink Filigree
- ONE Fat Quarter (what we used) or ½ yard of 44-45″ wide quilting weight cotton for the wallet interior; Hapi Heart Bloom in Nutmeg by Amy Butler for Rowan Fabrics
- 1 yard of 1½” Blue & White Camel Blanket
- 1 yard of 2″ Blue & White Flowing Buds
- 2 yards of ⅞” Blue, Green & Yellow Spirit Weave
- 2 yards of ⅝” Blue Filigree
- ONE Fat Quarter (what we used) or ½ yard of 44-45″ wide quilting weight cotton for the wallet interior; Hapi Heart Bloom in Rose by Amy Butler for Rowan Fabrics
The new wallets were made following the original instructions without any changes. However, we always encourage visitors to feel free experiment with little adaptations that make the project your own.