Dritz_2016_Leaderboard_Visit Dritz

Yardage Conversion Cheat Cards

I know I should be able to do math in my head; I also know I should eat more fruits and vegetables and actually use my gym membership. I could continue to pretend all these things are going to happen, or… I could find some little workarounds. Our Cheat Card is a handy reference table that converts common yardage amounts into inches and centimeters – no math-in-your-head required. It’s small enough to tuck into your wallet or tack up on the bulletin board in your sewing room.

Our Yardage Conversion Cheat Card is the size of a standard business card: 2” x 3½”. All six designs print out on one 8½” x 11” sheet of paper from which you can cut out the cards (there are handy crop marks to help guide your trimming). You may want to print on a heavier card stock (80lb cover is a good option) or print on regular paper then glue that lighter weight sheet to a stiff backing material.

Keep one card in your bag, one at home by your cutting table, share them with friends.

This just the first of a series of cards we’re designing, each one available in six pretty backgrounds. By the end of the year, you could have quite a collection of helpful guides to keep at the ready. Of course, we know you could totally do it all in your head, but you need that brain space to remember to buy more spinach and find your workout gear.

The Yardage Conversion Cheat Card is available here as a .pdf file. Click the image below to download the item. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is a free program. Please be patient with the download process.

Deborah said:
Deborah 's picture

Try as might for some reason none of the conversion charts would print . I have all the right software and I did everything . finally I changed my setting to grey scale . I would have liked those lovely charts in color , but they just would not print . Yes I have plenty of color in my cartriges but reading the other comments I see I was not the only one having a problem . another option is using the PRINT SCREEN buton at top of keybord and paste into paint program .. have to fiddle a little but can have full color that way . I thought about doing the e mail . but just went ahead and opted for black /white .. Thanks hope you get your program fixed some kinda glich in the thing .

@Deborah - So sorry you had trouble. We have optimized and tested the PDFs on several combinations of browsers and printers and all is working well. And, the site logs show hundreds of successful downloads just today. So the file is delivering correctly from the server. There are so many variables in computer systems, printers, connection speeds, etc. it's hard to know what the specific issue might be - especially since we can't replicate the failure. Again, so sorry you had a bit of a struggle.

JuneP said:
JuneP's picture

When I try to print the PDF, it comes up blank.  Can you help me?

@JuneP-  As mentioned in a couple comments below, make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. On some systems, there is also an option in your print window (might be under either the general or advanced tab) that must be clicked: "print as image". You can also try saving the file first to your computer and then opening to print.

Violet Chen said:
Violet Chen's picture

This is wonderful! Maybe in one of your future sets you could help us with converting yardage for different widths. Most of the newer digital patterns assume the ''standard'' 44'' so I always buy too much or too little of the single and double width fabric.

Cathie Jones said:
Cathie Jones's picture

Hello, You don't know how useful this chart are going to me. I am French (metric for me), I live in England (Imperial) and I love sewing and I collect patterns from all around the world on the net. (USA/yards is one of my source). Thank you ever so much.

@Cathie - You are very welcome. We love our worldwide fans!

Jan G said:
Jan G's picture

Doesn't matter what I do, I cannot get these to print.  Very disappointed!

@ Jan - So sorry you are having trouble. Since posting on Wednesday, the PDF file has already been downloaded successfully hundreds of times. As mentioned below, make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. On some systems, there is also an option in your print window (might be under either the general or advanced tab) that must be clicked: "print as image". You can also try saving the file first to your computer and then opening to print. We so wish we could come to you and help hands-on, but we can only insure things are set-up correctly on our end and offer what general support we can.

Shane D said:
Shane D's picture

How nice! Thank you for this thoughtful gift! I'll make one for my sister too! : - )

@Shane - You're welcome! Each sheet has six cards in six different backgrounds - so lots to share

@Becky - You're welcome! We hope you come back for even more fun ideas.

Regina Harris said:
Regina Harris's picture

Thanks for a wonderful set of cards. I printed  on medium weight card stock and cut apart. I then laminated each card, punched a whole in the upper left, and placed on a key ring. The extras will be nice little gifts for my sewing and quilting buddies.

@Regina - You are so welcome. Your buddies will love them too!

Patsy Becker said:
Patsy Becker's picture

Wow, how nice is  this.  One of my main problems is fractions and conversions.  Thank you so very much for this.  I did use the card stock and it is just perfect.  Can't wait for more tips.

Patsy

@Patsy - You're welcome. We're glad it hear it all printed out so perfectly for you!

khughes said:
khughes's picture

Thank you!! This is awesome and made my day. Taking a vacation day tomorrow from work so I can sit at my sewing machine. Perfect timing:) Looking forward to your other cards!

@ khughes - You are so welcome. Have a wonderful sewing day!

DebS said:
DebS's picture

Very convenient printable. I've printed and laminated a set already and put one in my wallet! Can't wait to see what other surprises you have in store. :)

@DebS - Wow -- that was fast. Have fun converting.

June Bug said:
June Bug's picture

Had problems printing, but saved it first and then printing it wasn't a problem.

Love this.. watch a lot of UK sewing videos and this CM will help alot.  Thanks so much.

@ June Bug - Awesome - and so glad you were able to find your best work around for pinting.

Linda R. W. said:
Linda R. W.'s picture

I can not print this no matter what.  It has nothing to do with loading, my printer just spits out blank pages!  Very disappointing. :(

@Linda - So sorry you are having trouble. We have tested to insure the file is delivering correctly from our server and, although it does take longer to load than a normal black and white pattern, it does load and print with all our tests. We even tested on our slowest and smallest printers to be extra sure. There are so many variables wtih computer systems, but make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. On some systems, there is also an option in your print window (might be under either the general or advanced tab) that must be clicked: "print as image" - We so wish we could come to you and help hands-on, but we can only insure things are set-up correctly on our end and offer what general support we can.

Anonymous said:
Anonymous's picture

Thank you for the tip! I had the same problem as Linda, but it worked fine after I chose "Print as image".

Lanetta said:
Lanetta's picture

Thanks for this!  I always have to pull my phone out and try to look up the conversion on the internet.  I will be keeping one of these in my wallet for sure.

@Lanetta - You are so welcome! We thought it would be a great little card to always have handy.

Nene said:
Nene's picture

For some reason I cannot print out the cards.  I have tried several times but is impossible.  Someone else with the same issue?

@Nene - we have tested the PDF on our end on all the most common browsers and it is delivering correctly from our server. In order to make the prints are crisp as possible, the PDF file is a bit larger than a simple black and white pattern - so it might take just a little while to load - that's why we added the line above about being patient; sometimes it's hard to tell exactly how long the download might take to process based on your browser, connection, printer, etc.

Nene said:
Nene's picture

Hi Liz!  I will keep trying because I think we have some kind of issues with our Internet service.  Thank you for your kind response.

Annette Mills said:
Annette Mills's picture

Yes, I'm not able to load the PDF.  It is just blank. I do this all the time, so I'm not sure why...

@Annette - be just a bit patient with the process - it's a larger file than a simple black and white pattern and so might take a bit longer to download.

nieves67 said:
nieves67's picture

very good, I'm french and that will help me a lot !!

Why not do a tea towel or a mug rug with this print to have it all the time.

Thanks a lot

@ nieves67 - You are so welcome!

wekebu said:
wekebu's picture

A tea towel!  What an excellent idea.  I have liquids I use for printing on fabric leftover from a project. Great idea.

Isond said:
Isond's picture

I can't believe it! I just bought myself a laminator and this was on my list! I couldn't find anything pretty online so I decided to make my own... Luckily I didn't get to it!